Our old manager, Rachel, and her four kids came into the store last week which reminded me to tell you guys about why she was fired. It was super awkward talking to her because we don’t think she knows how much we know about why she was fired.
None of us are perfect. Sometimes when we are really bored at work we paint our nails and when we forget to bring nail polish, we use the nail polish in the store. :/ I know it’s bad!! Please don’t judge me. So that is an example of internal theft. But Rachel took it a little further and decided to “borrow” clothes for her daughters to wear. And then she decided to “borrow” the new store vacuum. And then she decided to “borrow” money from the registers and the deposits. So as you can see, it got a little more serious than small fraction of a nail polish bottle. This was going on for months and we had no idea. When she told us she ordered the vacuum but it was back ordered we took her word for it because she was our manager and we trusted her.
Even though Rachel has her many boy toys, she was the coolest manager I’d ever had.I felt like she actually cared about us. We could talk to her about anything and she would listen. When I worked with her I didn’t feel like I was working with my manager, I felt like I was just working with one of the girls because she didn’t make us feel inferior to her. This sounds cheesy but when Rachel was our manager, Tween Girlz felt like a family. Yes, I knew she wasn’t the best manager, but I didn’t think she was actually stealing from the store.
The way Rachel was fired was unfortunate. The district manager came in to tell Autumn that Rachel was going to be fired and to offer her the manager position, so Autumn knew before it happened. Autumn can’t keep a secret so she told Alex, Alex told Kara, Kara told Carly, and so on. Everyone knew within two days but Rachel wasn’t actually fired until three weeks later, the day before Christmas Eve. You can imagine how awkward working with Rachel was. But I felt more betrayed than anything. I was angry and hurt that she would steal from the store because I used to feel like I could trust her. Now I don’t really know if she cared about any of us at all.
Aw, Sophia that sucks that someone you trusted so much let you down. That is always hard in life, but especially when you are in a position of leadership. Sorry to hear that, but great blog it kept me interested in the whole time!
ReplyDeleteI think this goes to show how sometimes we think we know people but in reality they could be completely different than what we perceive. Firing Rachel was probably the right thing to do but I'm sorry you felt betrayed because it sounds like you had a relationship with her. Stealing is intolerable so its unfortunate your manager was doing this. Hopefully Autumn does a better job haha i feel like I know these people..
ReplyDeleteI love this blog...that's crazy she was stealing so much from the store! And dude don't worry about the nail polish, no one would ever judge you for that! I work at a restaurant and I make myself sundaes and cool sandwiches all the time, and though food feels much more expendable it's still internal theft. And I think one of my brownie sundaes costs four times as much as the nail polish bottle. I hate gossip in the workplace- it's a terrible way for legitimate news to travel. It's not good at all how it ended for Rachel, but it probably is good it ended.
ReplyDelete