Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Best of Times and the Worst of Times

The best part about my job:

My favorite part of my job is when customers put their trust in me to pick out an outfit for their daughter, niece, or grandchild. It is usually a clueless dad, a spoiling grandma, or a loving aunt. But no matter who they are, I love when I can pick out an outfit for their girl. Sometimes my job can be kind of boring and I don’t always feel like I’m really helping the customer, besides scanning their items and telling them how much they owe. I know it seems insignificant but it’s refreshing when someone genuinely trusts me to pick out an outfit for them. I ask them general questions at first like if she’s more girly or more sporty and if they want everything to match perfectly or if they like lots of different colors. Then from what they tell me, I make some suggestions. I love it when they like what I picked out and then start making suggestions of their own. When they are checking out and say “thanks for all you’re help!” I feel like I did my job that day.

The worst part about my job:
           
            The thing I dislike the most working at Tween Girlz is the technical, administrative aspect of it. When the Regional Manager Amy comes to check up on us from time to time (like this Wednesday) I want to hide. She likes to grill the Brand Reps on terms like what XBR means and what the volume of our store is like that day or “what do we have in today?” which is a misleading and confusing way of asking how much money have we made that day. I didn’t know what that meant at first and made quite a fool of myself over the phone when she called! I love my job but I don’t feel comfortable when I know my every move is being watched and if I greet a customer the wrong way I will get lectured. Thankfully Amy doesn’t come around that often but when she does, that is when my job is the most stressful.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've commented on your blog before, but I really enjoy reading your posts here. I may not have had this job, or worked with these people, but what you share is very relatable; it's human, and very interesting to read.

    And I agree, it's hard to work when you're being watched. I was always on edge when the inspector was around while I worked at Subway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is sooooo hard to work when you're being watched! At my first job i was always being watched by my manager's mother-in-law who didn't speak English and would yell at me in Greek. It sounds like "Tween Girlz" is quite an interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love reading your posts. There's something about them that makes them fun and interesting. I'm glad that you get such pleasure out of helping people as well as the fact that people trust you to make these decisions. I hope Amy doesn't come around again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh that sounds so cute that you get to pick out outfits for customers and stuff. It must give your job a nice, personal feeling. Checking customers out and collecting money is one thing, but directly jelpong them is just great. I too love at my job when I get to directly talk to customers. And i know what you mean about the technical, administrative part! My bosses do that too sometimes and it's stressful. Have fun working!

    ReplyDelete