Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Customers

            Last week I told you a little bit about the different kinds of people that work at the mall. Now I’m going to tell you a little bit about the people who come to the mall, Tween Girlz in particular.
            There are three types of customers/moms that come to into our store: the nice ones, the mean ones, and the odd ones. An example of a nice customer is the gymnastic mom who comes in every other day if not every day (not exaggerating) and always buys a ton of clothes for all the girls on the gymnastic team. We know her by name and we know what color scheme her daughter’s newly painted room is as well as what level she is in her gymnastics class. I love moms who open up to us. :)
            Then there are the mean customers. Every once in a while a grandma comes in with her two granddaughters. To say it bluntly, the grandma dresses like a tramp. She looks like she shops at Tween Girlz herself and tries to squeeze into the smallest size we have. On an average day to the mall she will wear a low-cut, mini-skirt-short pink dress with 3 inch heels. As she yells and swears at her granddaughters to try on clothes that they are clearly not old enough to wear, she tries them on as well. She stays past closing every time and insists her granddaughters wear their new, oversized outfits out of the store. She usually ends up buying more for herself than the girls, but sees nothing wrong with this. Let’s just say I’m glad she’s not my grandma.
            One of our odd customers is an older woman who comes in a few times a month but has yet to buy anything. She talks about what kinds of clothes her nieces like and when we give her suggestions, she likes them but finds a reason not to buy them. I think she works at Penn State (or at least did work there) because the email address she gives us is @psu.edu and she talks about working there but I have no idea what she does! She is very vague when she talks about her life. The only topic she has ever seemed remotely interested in is the Vietnam War which she brings up almost every time she comes in. She stays in the store for almost an hour, but hasn’t bought a single thing.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot stand the type of women you describe in your third paragraph. They truly are annoying. People need to realize what age they are and dress accordingly. Dressing way younger than you actually are is just a manifestation of your inner insecurities, which is surely embarrassing. I can't believe such grandmas exist though! That's ridiculous. Some people are just weird.

    The last customer you described seems like an interesting woman. I feel like she is holding something back. I hope she seeks treatment for what is going on.

    One thing I noticed is that you guys really make a connection with your customers. I feel that that is critical for the successful functioning of a business. The customers have to feel welcome and comfortable in the establishment in which they're possibly making purchases. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete